YES! Senegal RENAMES SLAVE POST In Goree Island From Colon!zer Name to “Freedom Square”
In this video
BIG NEWS! Senegal has renamed its slave port in the famous Goree Island from European Port to Freedom & Human Dignity Port. It had names one of its main squares on the island European Square in 2003 by Mayor Senghor and the then President of the European Commission, Romano Prodi. Its is crazy that this was done as recently as 2003, what a shame for their ancestors.
But after the anti-racism campaigns have taken the world by a storm, the Senegalese government has been inspired to change their name to European Port to Freedom and Human Dignity Port.
What is Goree Island?
The island of Gorée lies off the coast of Senegal, opposite Dakar. From the 15th to the 19th century, it was the largest slave-trading centre on the African coast. Ruled in succession by the Portuguese, Dutch, English and French, its architecture is characterized by the contrast between the grim slave-quarters and the elegant houses of the slave traders. Today it continues to serve as a reminder of human exploitation and as a sanctuary for reconciliation.
IF you would like to support this channel with a small amount of your choice, here are your options:
Interesting Facts About Senegal!
– Found on the West coast of Africa.
– Senegal is derived from ‘Sunu Gaal’ which translates to these are our boats. This is what the
fishermen in Senegal said when they saw a Portuguese ship when they came in the 19 th century.
– Guree Island located on the west coast was a transit point of the Atlantic slave trade.
– In the 17 th and 18 th century the world knew Senegal for 3 things: slaves, ivory and gold. These
things attracted not only traders but also many pirates of class and repute.
– The house of slaves and its iconic door of no return is a melancholic reminder of Senegal’s slave
– The history of Dakar, the capital city, has shaped it to be one of the most liberal and
cosmopolitan cities in Africa.
– The place de l’ Obelisque is the nerve center of the whole country. It is here that all important
moments of Senegal’s modern history took place.
– It is their tradition in Dakar to take care of sheep. Every Sundays on Dakar’s Yoff beach, you can
find herds of sheep enjoying their Sunday afternoon spa and bath.
– The Senegalese coast was the filming backyard of the French movie ‘ Industry’
– Their population is 16,611,413 people.
– The main languages spoken are French and Arabic
– Gained their independence from France on the 4 th April 1960.
– Flag meaning:
Red yellow and green are the pan African
Thank you for visiting our website: Help us to keep going!
– Become a Patreon for as little as 2usd a month: PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/DrMumbiShow
– PAYPAL Donations: www.paypal.me/DrMumbiShow
Thank you for your donations – small, medium and large -all are greatly appreciated.
UP NEXT: NEW TELEGRAM CHANNEL
Please Subscribe FAM: https://t.me/drmumbishow
Thanks for all your emails. I do read all emails that come through, however, due to the high number of emails I am not able to reply to all of them. Please know that I DO read all of them though.
EMAIL: [email protected]
LET’s CONNECT on SOCIAL MEDIA:
Guidance & Protection